Philadelphia School Partnership GreatPhillySchools Intern (Paid)
The Philadelphia School Partnership (PSP) works to give every child in America’s fifth largest city the opportunity to attend a great school. We invest philanthropic funds in high-impact schools so they can serve more low-income students—whether they be in the traditional public, public charter or private sectors. Our aim is to catalyze the creation or transformation of enough schools to ensure better options for 50,000 students, or nearly one in four of all Philadelphia schoolchildren. Since 2011 PSP has invested in more than 66 schools of all types, creating new educational opportunity for 28,000 students. PSP also works to create the conditions that enable great schools to grow and thrive, including a strong pipeline of qualified teachers and principals, resources and initiatives to empower parents and families, and policies that enable entrepreneurial school leadership and create opportunity for high-performing schools to grow. Additionally, PSP invests donated funds to catalyze collaboration, facilitating the sharing of best practices among schools and support organizations. Nonpartisan and data-driven, we work with government officials, business leaders, education leaders and practitioners, and community groups to pursue the promise of a great school for every child.
The Philadelphia School Partnership (PSP) believes that helping to empower parents to find, choose, and advocate for higher quality schools of all types (district, charter, and private) is a critical part of our strategy to ensure every child in Philadelphia is enrolled in a great school. We seek to deepen our relationships with partner organizations including school operators, nonprofits, and advocacy groups to empower parents and community members to engage in local education reform efforts. Specifically, we are working to better equip families with information to find and choose great schools for their children. As part of this work, we have created “GreatPhillySchools,” (GPS) a print and web-based resource giving parents access to data on academics, safety, and more.
The Intern will support the GreatPhillySchools team in efforts to ensure the quality of the resource and build awareness in communities. The Intern will engage in outreach efforts to schools, early childcare providers, community organizations and partners. S/he will report to the GreatPhillySchools Project Manager and work closely with the entire team including the Director, Outreach Manager, and Coordinator.
The internship is a part time, (15-20 hours/week) paid, temporary position for summer 2019, with an opportunity to continue on through fall 2019. The Intern is a part time, (15-20 hours/week) paid, temporary position.
PSP is an equal-opportunity employer with good benefits and an entrepreneurial, results-oriented work culture.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support major event planning
- Outreach to schools and early childhood providers to ensure accuracy of the information on the GreatPhillySchools website and in the GreatPhillySchools print-guides
- Collect and report data on website traffic and user engagement (using Google Analytics and other tools)
- Manage and respond to messages in the GreatPhillySchools’ infobox
- Contribute to GreatPhillySchools social media and communications, including Facebook and Instagram
- Oversee GreatPhillySchools text messaging and mass-email campaigns, including maintenance of contact information in text message and email databases
- Support graphic design and editing of suite of promotional materials
- Research and create relevant content articles for the GPS website
- Data entry and other administrative tasks, including book and materials distribution
- Other duties as assigned
- Commitment to the mission of the Philadelphia School Partnership and GreatPhillySchools
- Desire to work in a goals-driven organization
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to represent GPS to various audiences
- Ability to manage time effectively, juggling multiple tasks simultaneously
- Extremely high attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills and desire to work as part of a team
- Ability to work independently, solve problems and be flexible
- Proficient in InDesign strongly preferred. Experience using Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Proficient in Microsoft office, especially Excel experience with data entry, compilation, and cleaning a plus
- Proficient in social media, with experience using Canva a plus
- Ability to work two mornings a week
Education and Experience
- Working towards Bachelor’s or Master’s degree
- Fluency in Spanish (written and verbal), strongly preferred
- Interest in education a plus
Ability to physically perform the duties and to work in the environmental conditions required:
- Functioning in office space — reaching file cabinets, filing, faxing, scanning, coping, typing, mailing, making phone calls
- Must be able to sit for up to two hours looking at a computer monitor, using a keyboard/mouse and typing
Email resume and cover letter to Molly Farley, Human Resources Consultant, at MFConsultantsLLC@gmail.com.